According to a new study published last week in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, researchers demonstrated that diet alone can bring pediatric patients with active inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) into remission.
In the study, patients were put on a specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) for 12 weeks. This diet consisted of removing grains, dairy, processed foods and sugars, except for honey. At the end of the study, eighty percent of the patients showed significant improvement and achieved remission from following the diet alone.
Traditionally we find that the medical community approach is focused on symptom management, using various anti-inflammatory medications. There may be some help with anti-inflammatory medication but we must always keep in mind they also could have serious potential side-effects.
Sometimes a more "natural" approach like diet counseling, lifestyle choices, environmental exposures and genetic predisposition are critical factors in IBD and successful treatment approaches and may be the better "initial focus." We must work to address the cause of the condition before we jump to "treating" the condition with medications. Medications typically have serious side-effects associated with them that also must be part of the patient educational teaching.
We can always move to the next step of serious medications should we need to keeping in mind that there is credible evidence that suggests that these approaches may result in furthering the pathological process.
- GI Microb-X supports a healthy gastrointestinal microbial balance.
- FloraMyces provides increased protection of the digestive mucosa and prevention of antibiotic associated diarrhea.
- L-Glutamine Powder is essential for the health of the immune system and the digestive tract.
- OmegaAvail is fish oil with superior absorption.
- Inflammatone will help the inflammatory response and support lymphatic drainage. Very anti-inflammatory.
Designs For Health
Practitioner Code: CARLYWILLEFORD
Patient Free Shipping Code: DFHSELECT
DFH Select™ Amazon Webstore
Patient Referral Promo Code (15% off first order): DFH33107